(Unknown error (0x80338000)) When Migrating VMs RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a perfectly working cluster for a month or so, consisting of 2 nodes.  I have now added to additional nodes, an d the are passing the failover clustering vaidation and have been added into VMM as part of the cluster.  Everyone looked ok, until I tried to move a VM from one of the nodes onto one of the 2 new nodes.  I get the following error;

-------------------------
    Error (2915)
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. Object not found on the newton.students.blackburn.local server.
    (Unknown error (0x80338000))
    Recommended Action
    Ensure that the agent is installed and running. If the error persists, reboot newton.students.blackburn.local and then try the operation again.
    -------------------------

Obviously Newton is the destination server, and one of the 2 new nodes.  I have ensured that the WMM service is running on Newton, and have tried rebooting it.  But the problem persists.

Strangely enough after extensive testing I have had the error occur and the migration still works, but after a minute or so it gets movec back to the original node.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:50 PM

Answers

• I found out what was causing the problem.  I had not added the relevant LUNs to the iSCSI initiator on the new nodes!  Done that and all is now working fine.
    • Marked as answer by College Guy Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:40 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:40 PM

All replies

• My thoughts are that your cluster configuration is fine, but your Hyper-V is not.

Make sure the BIOS requirements are met (Hardware Virtualization enabled, DEP enabled.
    On your new host, start Hyper-V manager and create a new VM manually. You don't need to install an OS. Start the VM and check if the hypervisor is operatonal. If not, you probably know what to do.

Regards,

Hans Vredevoort

Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:08 PM
  • I would just try to start a VM on one of the new nodes...if that doesn't work (i.e. the VM fails over to anothe node) then your hypervisor might not be running.
    Juraj
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 1:57 PM
  • I found out what was causing the problem.  I had not added the relevant LUNs to the iSCSI initiator on the new nodes!  Done that and all is now working fine.
    • Marked as answer by College Guy Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:40 PM
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Usually this is caught by the failover cluster validator.
    Juraj
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 8:41 PM